Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Severe sinus problems w/severe swelling.

02/25/2009

Question:

I have been suffering from chronic sinus problems and allergies since the old age of 18. I am now 40 yrs old and still experience the horrible problem. My eyes will itch something horrible and the worst result is swelling of the nasal passage. This usually have a result from mild to severe swelling of the nasal passage around my eyes (sometimes swelling completely shut) and in the cheek area. What can I do to prevent the problem. I have already had sinus surgery and take Zyrtec D everyday twice a day?

Answer:

There are many avenues available to address chronic sinus trouble.  If you have not been tested for allergies, this would be an obvious next step.  There are more aggressive methods to manage allergies than just taking zyrtec D.  You might benefit from a variety of topical medications and / or rinses for your nose.  I suggest further evaluation by an ENT physician.  If you've been seeing one, and do not feel you are getting better, then I suggest getting other opinions.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy