Athletic Training

Results of ankle MRI

02/19/2009

Question:

I would like to list the FINDINGS and IMPRESSIONS of my MRI because my medical officer is telling me that everything is fine just got to suck it up(I`m in the military)

TECHNIQUE: The study is preformed using T1, fat suppression T2-weighted spin echo, inversion recovery and T-2 weighted gradient acquisitions.

COMPARISON: NONE

FINDINGS: Small ankle and subtalar joint effusions are identified. There is small focal area of increased signal within the lateral talar dome conisitent with mild chronic bone bruising without well defined osteochondral injury, fragmentation or loose body formation. Additional mild navicular edema is noted which is non-specific but most likely related to bone bruising. There may be minimal medial cuneiform involvment. No well-defined fracture or evidence of osteonecrosis is identified. Medial and lateral ligamentous complexes are preserved, as in ankle mortise. Medial and lateral tendious structures are in tact as well. Small posterior recess ankle effusion is present. The Achilles tendon insertion and plantar fascia are preserved as well and no focal subtalar joint level abnormality is identified.

IMPRESSION: 1. Patchy marrow edema primarily involving the navicular and to lesser extent cuneiforms and lateral talar dome orgin which may be due to chronic bone marrow edema/bruising without well-defined fracture or osteochondral lesion. There is no evidence of osteonecrosis. Follow-up in eight-to-twelve weeks to evaluate stability versus progression in marrow changes particulary at the navicular level is suggested. 2.No acute ligamentous pathology or mortise disruption. Various tendinous structures appear in tact as well. 3.Intact subtalar joint Achilles tendon insertion and plantar fascia as described.

Answer:

Without seeing you or knowing what your history is as to how your symptoms started, it is hard to quantify what the MRI results mean. Your prescribed plan of care is typically developed in response to a combination of the results of the clinical examination along with any other special tests that were ordered.

Do you have any options for a second opinion? Having another physician examine you and review your MRI results is probably the best way to get a better answer to your question.

Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences