Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Painful sores in mouth

02/19/2009

Question:

I have had a small white bump in the back of my mouth for a little over a week now. The only way that you can see it is if I hold my tongue down and to the side. Just a few days ago I noticed a painful yellowish and whitish sore on the very tip of my tongue. These sores can be very painful at times. I also seem to have problems with taste now. I did go to see my family doctor and she wasn`t to concerned, didn`t even recommend antibiotics or anything. She thinks it is some sort of viral infection that will go away in a few days. However, when I left her office and when I woke up this morning, my gums were bleeding between my two front upper teeth. I don`t have insurance and I am scared and baffled by these symptoms. Any advice on what I should do or any ideas on what this could possibly be?

Answer:

You have at least two issues that may or may not be related. The only way to properly diagnose your problem is to do a dental exam. If you have not had a dental cleaning in the last 6 months, you might consider having the cleaning and an exam at the same appointment. By doing this, you will have your gingiva examined and any calculus that may be causing the bleeding removed. This will also determine if there is some type of infection. I hope this helps. 

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry