Gum Diseases

Pain medication for laser periodontal surgery

02/19/2009

Question:

My periodontist has told me that I should take Xanex and Hydrocodone preceding my laser gum surgery (I don`t want to use gas). From everything I read, I am not sure this is necesary (to take both). It sounds like there is not much pain afterwards. Could I just plan to take something for the pain after if it occurs instead of taking Hydrocodone before the fact? I know I can take Xanex and have no problem with that, but I don`t like my reaction to Hydrocodone.

Answer:

It has been claimed that laser periodontal surgery causes less pain than regular periodontal surgery (there is not enough research to support this claim).  However, we generally prescribe regular Ibuprofen 600mg following traditional periodontal surgery and it works fine. Thus, I do not understand why you need strong analgesics and/or anti-inflammatory drugs. 

Nevertheless, I do not feel comfortable recommending that you change what it is prescribed by your doctor. You should call his/her office and ask for more information.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology