Athletic Training

Ankle injury

02/25/2009

Question:

I recently injured my ankle in basketball. i went up to shoot the basket and was pushed and slammed down on it with my ankle going inwards. im really not sure what is wrong with it, but the symptoms are swelling and bruising on the outside of the ankle and it hurts in a small place on the inside of the ankle. it also hurts around the achilles tendon and if i try to move it inwards and sometimes outwards. Can someone help?

Answer:

It sounds like you may have sprained your ankle. The swelling and bruising are normal signs of an ankle sprain. I would encourage you to ice your ankle in a cold bucket for about 15 minutes. Following the ice you will need to stretch the ankle.

First start with ankle pumps (moving foot toward your face and then down to the floor). Repeat this 25 times.

After your ankle has warmed back up you should stretch your Achilles tendon. Using a towel, wrap the towel around your foot, and pull your foot toward your head. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times. This treatment process should help with your motion and move the swelling out, thus reducing the pain.

One last exercise is to balance on the injured foot for 15 seconds with your eyes open - any time you feel you might fall put your foot down immediately. You should continue this process at least 3 times a day.

My hope is that you feel better within a couple of days. If your pain or swelling increases, please consult your doctor as soon as possible. Good luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Chalisa   Fonza, MA, ATC Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals