Gum Diseases

Brown gums

02/20/2009

Question:

my daughter is 5.7 years old.she has been complaining about pain in her gums(she is cuttingout her molars)...but today i noticed that her gums(lower half portion)have become brownish....i am reallly upset and dont know what to do.....is it because of she is going to loose her milk teeth???my son lost his milk teeth when he was 5.6 years but his gums never turned brown...please help me!

Answer:

How is her oral hygiene? Is she brushing her teeth? Do you take her to a dentist once or twice a year?

It is recommended to start seeing a dentist at the age of 2 years. Brown gums may be caused by calculus/plaque build-up under the gum line.

Do her gums bleed when she is brushing? Color changes may be due to infection/inflammation/decay. But it may also be a sign of other systemic health issues. You should take her to a dentist to figure it out.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology