Urinary Disorders

Frequent Urination and Pain

03/04/2009

Question:

In the past few weeks I have had an urge to drink lots of water (nearly a gallon a day). I pee often about once every two hours even during sleep. This has been ongoing for about 2 or 3 weeks. today I am getting a less volumn and near the end of peeing there is a sharp pain in my penis. I am sure it is not STD as I have not had sex or contact for months.

Now I am going about every 20 min with less results and pain every time.

Answer:

Frequent urination can occur due to several reasons some of which are increased intake of fluid, infection, enlarged prostate in males and bladder overactivity. You have not provided details about your age and sex since certain problems such as prostate enlargement occur commonly in older men. You have mentioned less volume; do you mean to say that your flow is poor and you do not seem to empty as well? This symptom can occur sometimes with obstruction from enlarged prostate or scarring (narrowing) in urethra. Penile pain can sometimes occur wih infection which is not necessarily due to STD.

I would suggest that you see your urologist who would be able to do a urine test initially to evaluate for infection and a bladder scan (after you have voided) to check whether you are emptying your bladder adequately. In the meantime, you could record the time and volume of your fluid intake urine output (volumes if possible) over any 24 to 48 hour period and take these details with you to the urologist visit, as this would help him/her to determine whether your symptoms are simply related to increased intake/output. The urologist would then be able to treat you accordingly or get further tests if required before proceeding with treatment. Increased urge to drink water can sometimes be due to diabetes besides other causes; you discuss this with your primary care physician.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Krishnanath  Gaitonde, MD Krishnanath Gaitonde, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Urology