Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Disorders

Pain Only at Ejaculation When Muscles Tense?



Past 6 months during sex with wife at ejaculation I would feel a right sided pulling of muscle or ligament in groin area. I would have to stop and move around. Did not think much of it but 1 month ago during sex and at ejaculation heard and felt something similar to a pop or snap. Now I am unable to reach orgasm because of severe pain on right side. THe pain it seems stems from the muscles tensing to ejaculate(cremaster reflex?). Had biltateral hernia surgery 18 years ago and 2 surgeons verified no new hernia. I original thought that was the problem.

Is this a muscle strain, ligament strain, movement of my hernia mesh with muscle impingement, kinking of the spermatic cord?

Remember no pain any other time only when about to ejaculate.


I am uncertain the exact etiology of this discomfort with ejaculation. I would suggest that you be seen by a urologist and undergo evaluation (further history and physical examination including examination of the prostate).

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University