Children's Health

6 mo. old with thick stools and rectal blood

02/23/2009

Question:

My 6 month old just began eating solids a couple of weeks ago and had banana for the first time 2 days ago. He ate 3/4 of one banana one day and I gave him 1/2 of a banana the next day. I gave him a bit of formula during the night (although he is usually only breast-fed) in an effort to let Mommy get some sleep. The next day he had difficulty passing his stools, which were much thicker than normal (of course, compared to breast-fed stools). Then I noticed a bit of blood on the wipe- but realized it wasn`t from the stool, but from a small bit of skin that has torn near his anus. He is in a good mood, but continues passing very small, thick stools VERY frequently. His anal opening seems larger than normal as well. Should I go to the Doctor, just call them, or wait it out with the hope that his skin will heal with exclusive breast-feeding for a few days?

Answer:

As you are already concerned, a phone call to your child's physician's practice would probably help the most.  What you are describing sounds like it will resolve, but without the ability to examine your child, I cannot reassure you as well as someone who knows him and his health history.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine