Children's Health

Low body temperature in 10-year-old girl

03/10/2009

Question:

My daughter was complaining of some vague body aches this morning before school, so I took her temperature (orally with a digital thermometer) and it read 95.6! Took it again and got the same reading. I thought the thermometer might be broken! We had a long day Sunday and she had a hard time getting to sleep last night (Monday), so I put the aches down to fatigue and sent her to school. She has also had some tenderness around the nipples for a few weeks, and at 10-1/2, I am wondering if this could be hormonal, or if it is something to worry about. Please let me know!

Answer:

It sounds as if your daughter may be starting puberty given her tenderness complaints.  The body temperature issue is more difficult to address, it could be the thermometer but it is impossible for me to know without examining your daughter and checking the thermometer against a hospital one.  If you are concerned, please have her see her primary care provider.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine