Mouth Diseases

What is this?

02/26/2009

Question:

My mother who is 78 has had a swollen tongue that is ruff. Her doctor gave her a mouth wash that is prescription but it has not helped. Her tongue is a deep red and the paplilla are ruff...there is no fever. One doctor said it was an allergic reaaction to accupril, but after taking her off the condition has returned for a second time. She does take other blood pressure meds, could it still be that? I though of thrust and got her cepecal and have been flossing and brushing but to do avail...............................

Answer:

It is difficult to determine exactly what the problem may be with your mother's tongue. It is possible that you may be correct and that it is related to thrush or a mild yeast infection of the mouth.

If she has not seen a dentist or a dental specialist such as an oral pathologist or oral surgeon, that would be my first recommendation. Physician doctors are not as familiar with conditions that affect the mouth as the dental doctors who look in people's mouths every day.

If a yeast infection is considered likely, proper medicine can be prescribed to help. Good luck!

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology