Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Bumps in cheek

03/05/2009

Question:

I have recently noticed two tiny pin sized bumps on my inner cheek, one close to my lip and the other further down below. These bumps appear one day and are flesh toned or clear when they form, i feel a bit of burning or tingly sensation when they form. They usually last for a day and then pop by the next day turning into a white colour. They stay in this white colour state for a day and I feel a bit of a burning sensation, almost as if they were an ulcer. They eventually disappear by the third day, however they remain white and now I have two tiny white spots in my cheek. This is the second or third time I have noticed these this year and they always come back in the SAME LOCATIONS. I dont know what they could be? an STD? an allergy? or something normal?

Answer:

There are many possibilities from what you have described. Most of the possibilities are benign and of no consequence. The two most likely are that the bumps are minor salivary glands. They do not usually pop unless you try to pop them.

From your description, another likely possibility is a cold sore. These are caused by a virus and often appear when you are under stress and may reappear at the same site.

The best thing to do would be to see your dentist for an examination the next time this occurs. That way you will know what it is and how to treat it. I hope this helps you with your situation.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry