Dental and Oral Health Center

Excess flow of saliva in mouth

03/05/2009

Question:

I`ve been having excess flow of saliva (swallowing my saliva) every couple of minutes through out the entire day for the last 28 days. I haven`t been able to find much about it on the internet. I don`t have any pain or swelling on my neck, no inflammation or lesions in my mouth and no GERD. I had a root canal done recently and a cavity filled early Janurary , but the work appears fine. No infection or swelling in the area where work was done. I had my dentist check it out and this was confirmed. Although I was under alot of stress and anxiety thought to originate from not being able to find the dental problem that lead to the root canal (nder above normal amounts of stress and anxiety for a month). This also lead to bruxism (probably cracked the molar teeth that lead to the root canal). What is the cause of the excess salivation and the treatment options?

Answer:

Excess salivation has no negative consequences and is not an indicator of any common disease. Saliva is produced in the greatest quantities when you are hungry or have something in your mouth.

If you are dieting or not eating regularly, this could cause an increase in saliva flow because you are hungry. If you are chewing gum or have mints or candy in your mouth, saliva production is increased. If you have an appliance in your mouth or a tongue piercing with something in the piercing, you can stimulate saliva production.

If none of these apply to you, return to your dentist to rule out any possible growths in your salivary glands. This would be very unlikely because you would feel a growth in your cheek or on the floor of your mouth in most cases and you have mentioned neither.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry