Urinary Disorders

Kidney Stones and Spasms

03/09/2009

Question:

I was diagnosed with stones on both sides and have passed stones previously. This time pain is in the right hip area/back. The pain is manageable with pain medication when I am up but at night I can only sleep for a couple of hours before I am hit with horrible kidney spasms. The MRI in the emergency room did not show I was passing any but this has been going on for ten days. Does this sound normal/typical? I have no medical insurance for further testing.

Answer:

R. Bruce Bracken

Urologists allow ureteral stones small enough to pass to do so provided the patient has neither sepsis (severe infection that gets into the blood) or pain that the patient cannot tolerate. Even though you do not have insurance, it sounds as if it is time to get these stones out! There should be a hospital in your area that could help you if you do not have insurance.

NetWellness Staff

The US Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Primary Health Care has a directory that will help you find a clinic that will give you medical, including dental care, even if you have no medical insurance or money.

Coverage For All.org also contains information about free medical care and programs in your area.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org