Addiction and Substance Abuse

Vicodin withdrawal

03/03/2009

Question:

I`ve been treated for hep-c for a year. My dr. prescribed hydrocodone 10/325 1tab every 3 hours to help treat side effects. I am done with my treatement and my dr. suggested I titrate off the vicodin over a 3 week period. I decided to hurry it up to 3 days. I cut my usual dose in half for 2 days, then went to 1/4 tab every 3 hours for one day then I quit today. It has almost about 20 hours since my last dose of 1/4 tab and my body aches all over. I have a fever, runny nose and am restless. I do not want to take this vicodin any longer. How long can I expect these withdrawal symptoms to last? thanks,

Answer:

These symptoms tend to last for a 1- to 2-week period but this is, of course, variable based on your history. Other
non-narcotic treatment options (e.g., clonidine) might be helpful to temper some of these difficulties that you are experiencing without returning to the hydrocodone.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Introductory Clinicxal Psychopharamcology
Advanced Clinical Psychopharmacology
Clinical Pharmacokinetics
Clinical Therapetics