Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Bruising on inside of pinky

03/03/2009

Question:

I have a bruise on the inside of my pinky finger. I was sitting on my couch when I felt a sharp pain in my pinky finger by the first inner knuckle and then all of a suddden it started to bruise. What could this be and should I be concerned? It has happened before and the bruising only will last a day or two. I can bend it and it doesnt hurt it just looks bad.

Answer:

In this forum it is not possible to really diagnose what may have caused the bruise on your finger. But, from what you describe, this sounds like it was a ruptured vein in the finger with a mild bruise that followed. This is quite common, and other than being painful for a short while, there are no other problems or other medical issues associated with this. If it does not get better, I would see your primary care physician, but it will likely just heal on its own.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine