Arthritis and Rheumatism

Severe Joint Pain

03/03/2009

Question:

Last year I almost died from a perforated colon. I am now suffering from severe joint pain. One of the surgeons at the hospital had told me that the reason for my severe joint pain is due to all of the antibiotics they had given me while in the hospital. This joint pain is getting out of control and seems to be happening around the same time at 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. every night. Can you please explain to me why this is happening and is there anything I can do to help with this pain?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. Based on what you wrote, I don't know enough about the nature of your pain let alone if the correlation with the surgery and antibiotics is real or coincidental. You may want to start by seeing a Rheumatologist who may then be able to identify what type of arthritis you have now, and then, if necessary, work backwards to see if there are any significant correlations in your medical history. 

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine