Arthritis and Rheumatism

RA and Foot Alignment

03/09/2009

Question:

I have RA for five years now and it has not been under control except for three months when Enbrel worked. I have tried all the biologic medications and none of them has worked. My right foot is turned out alot to the point that I can`t put my foot flat on the floor when I am sitting down. I thinking that the ligements or tendons are pulling my foot outward. How does RA do that to the ligements and tendons. Does the inflamation cause them to become tighter and pull the joint out of postion? What happens?

Answer:

What happens to the joints in the case of RA is that the chronic inflammation of the joint and other tissues causes loss of cartilage and bone and weakness of the muscles and tendons. This chronic condition causes the joint to deform, destruction of tissues and loss of function. Ultimately the muscles which have been weakened follow the path of least resistance based on the joint instability that has occurred.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery