COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

White spots of chest x-ray

03/03/2009

Question:

I am a 44year old female,I smoke around 15-20 hand rolled cigs per day.Recently I went to the doctor because I had a persistant cough which produced lots of phlemvarying in colour and thickness from clear to yellowy green and brown.Shortness of breath and wheezing.Was diagnosed with broncitis(I had had this repeatedly through my entire life).I was given antibiotics and aSymbicort turbuhaler and sent for chest x-rays and blood tests.I go back to the doc next week for results.On my x-rays there are several white spots a little smaller than a pea.What could this mean?I have also suffered from repeated sinus infections and blockages.

Answer:

The white spots on the x-ray have several different meanings. They often represent blood vessels or calcified nodules that are not concerning.

In some cases, they could represent more serious conditions such as infection or malignancy. The radiologist and ordering physician are to interpret the x-ray.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep