Menopause

Prolonged period

03/10/2009

Question:

I am 44 years old and in October I had what I believed was a yeast infection. I never had one before but that’s what it seemed like when I diagnosed myself on the Internet. It lasted off and on for about two weeks.

Then a week before Thanksgiving, my period started early and lasted for quite a while. Then it stopped for two days and it started up again. Then stopped for three days and has been ongoing ever since. Since November 18 and as of this writing, it has only stopped for a total of five days. It has not been heavy during these last couple of months unlike all my other periods from the start but still requires the use of tampons.

Is what I am experiencing these last few months nothing other than your run-of-the-mill start of menopause?

Thanks.

Answer:

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question without taking a full history and doing an examination. There are several possible causes for your bleeding. I would strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment with your gynecologist.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Cynthia B Evans, MD Cynthia B Evans, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology