Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

TURP Surgery and ED

03/04/2009

Question:

It was 2006 that my wife and I realized that the times I was unable to have intercourse with her had become more frequent. Symptoms include inability to provide an erection hard enough to allow penetration. We thought this was possibly due to my age (70).  I spoke to my urologist about my problem and told him I would like to try Viagra if he thought it might help me. He said he thought it would help and wrote me a prescription. It was through the use of Viagra and other similar medications that I was able to manage an erection that, while still not rigid enough for penetration, would support mastrubation to orgasm and ejaculation.

So what had once been an idealistic sex life had been reduced to less idealistic and supplemented by medication. But we adapted and life does go on.

Then came the news that surgery was an alternative method to resolve my large prostate problems that were invading the same area that was my recent problem and was about to present me with a much bigger problem.

TURP did what it was supposed to do, but the consequence is that it prevents penetration and has also eliminated both orgasm and ejaculation! What do I do now related to sexual performance and satisfaction, other than think about it?

Answer:

There are many options available for treatment of erectile dysfunction, aside from the pills. These include intra urethral pellets, injection and vacuum devices. However the best alternative is insertion of a penile implant. As for ejaculation goes, TURP will cause the bladder neck to stay open during ejaculation and hence retrograde ejaculation will result. This condition should have been explained to you. However, orgasm which is psychic satisfaction after pelvic contractions should not have been affected.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery