Braces

Impacted teeth + nerve damage = no braces?

03/06/2009

Question:

I`m 29 yrs old and need braces. I was told by my first dentist that even before I can have braces, I needed to have my wisdom tooth removed because they were impacted. Today an oral surgeon told me one of my tooth will cause me to lose the sensation in my lips permanently because my teeth grew through the nerve. 1. If I don`t pull the wisdom tooth am I at risk for health problems as I continue to get older? 2. Will a dentist still put braces on me although I still have am impacted teeth that I didn`t remove? 3. If I have the teeth pulled and permanently lose sensation in my lips (which I will), will I have muscular control over my lips and anything else that I may lose sensation in? In other words, will I look like a victim of a stroke? I hate my smile and really want those braces but dont know if its worth it.

Answer:

First of all, the oral surgeons are the ones who should remove third molars. My recommendation is to find an oral surgeon in your area (one that limits their practice to oral surgery) and ask about your concerns. The possibility of permanent sensation loss is very remote, but it is stated as a disclaimer to protect against a frivolous law suit. 

I feel you should have no fear regarding orthodontics provided you go to a specialist in orthodontics (braces). So in both cases you need specialists. 

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry