Digestive Disorders

Lower Right Side Pain

03/09/2009

Question:

About a week ago I started experiencing a sharp, burning pain on the lower right side of my abdomen. The pain is severe for about 1-2 minutes and then stops and then the area, along with the very upper part of my right thigh, goes numb and then it starts over again. I`ve had two CT scans, with and without contrast, and neither one has shown any problems. I don`t know if I should continue to follow up with my doctor (I`m starting to feel like no one believes me) or if I should wait and see if the pain gets any better or goes away?

Answer:

Given that you are asking a gastroenterologist, I am assuming your doctor is a GI specialist. But not all pain in abdomen is abdominal related. You should also think about muscle, nerve, referred back pain. A primary care doctor should be able to sort through that but time may also make things better. Maybe another visit is warranted.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine