Myasthenia Gravis

Ocular MG

05/04/2009

Question:

I am undergoing tests for ocular MG which started about 6 days ago. MRI /MRA of the brain and 2 antibody tests have come back normal. I have no other symptoms. I am waiting for the results of a chest CT for thalmus and some additional bloodwork. My symtoom is double vision which has not responded to Mestinon and prednison. as yet. Is there anything you can suggest i do?

Answer:

It sounds like your work up is reasonable. I think it is always a good idea to check for ACh Abs and to do a chest CT to make sure that you don't have a thymoma. Your neurologist must also be considering other possible causes of diplopia because he ordered the head MRI. I often get thyroid studies and check the patient's "forced vital capacity" (a basic breathing test). Keep working with your neurologist/neuromuscular specialist and never be afraid to get a second opinion.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology