Pain Management

Broken ribs/old

03/12/2009

Question:

for 2 years i have been having chest and musle pain /also high blood presure i recently had a cat scan that showed old or healing broken ribs?i had about of tachyacardia before that all tests show my heart is sound would the ribs cause the rapid heart and high bp? i live with constant pain in the rib area that travels through my chest and neck,i was in a car wreck 10 yrs ago and broke the fourth vertabra in my neck but nothing was said about rib injury,I dont know where to turn for help all docs go straight for the heart,because of chest pain

Answer:

While chronic severe pain can at times lead to hypertension, chances are that your high blood pressure/tachycardia is unrelated to the old rib fracture. Occasionally, with a rib fracture, one may get intercostal neuralgia which is a nerve pain condition and requires treatment with medications and sometimes other interventions. It would be best if you could be evaluated by a Pain Medicine Specialist.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine