Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Bone marrow changes on MRI

03/10/2009

Question:

I recently had an MRI for knee and leg pain. The MRI showed no injuries to the ligaments or menisci. It did show "low signal T1 changes that are consistent with homopoietic bone marrow." It says that this can be an indication of hematologic disorder. What could these results mean? What is my next step? I have also been anemic for a little more than a year and had pain and swelling in my spleen. Thank you

Answer:

The abnormality that you describe in the MRI report is commonly reported by radiologists, but it is very nonspecific and does not really mean anything by itself.

In this forum without being able to talk to you and examine you, it is not possible to say much more. I would encourage you to discuss the results with your physician, and if there is still concern I would encourage you to see a hematologist who can meet with you to see whether there is anything abnormal to be concerned about.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine