Healthy Weight Center

Eating Right So Why Aren't I Losing Weight?

03/11/2009

Question:

I live in South Wales U.K. I am 13 stone and 2 lbs. I don`t eat that much and although I try to eat all the correct things like fish, vegetables and fruit, and low calorie drinks. I am staying the same weight. I make myself sick if I eat too much but for some reason can`t seem to lose weight to get to a normal size. During the day I have a low fat yogurt and banana, maybe a sandwich for lunch  and try not to eat at supper time. If I do I have sometimes pasta and tuna. If I eat then I put a pound on. I am getting desperate.... can you help me or advise me what I am doing wrong?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. I am not familiar with your way of expressing weight, but I am assuming you weigh approximately 185 pounds. Since you did not indicate your height and you feel you are overweight, you must be less than 6 feet tall. If I am incorrect, please ask another question and clarify that information. In your question you mention your food intake, but you do not indicate how much you are exercising. Exercise is an important component of a weight loss or maintenance program. There are many benefits to be gained by exercising. These include: exercise expends energy (and, therefore, burns kilocalories); exercise decreases appetite (if done in a moderate fashion); exercise appears to enhance metabolic rate (the rate at which our body burns the kilocalories we consume in food); exercise may preserve muscle tissue (more muscle tissue means a higher metabolic rate); exercise may limit our preference for dietary fat; exercise improves medical conditions often associated with extra weight. In addition to these benefits, exercise also has positive psychological effects on self-esteem and psychological well-being. It also relieves mild stress and anxiety and may even improve your adherence to a healthy food plan. Eating regular meals is also important in losing weight and maintaining the loss. From research studies we know that people who skip meals tend to overeat at the next meal, consuming more kilocalories than they would have by eating two normal meals. Portion size is also very important. When you eat pasta, how much do you eat? One cup of pasta is equivalent to two slices of bread. A small banana (4-ounce size) is eqivalent to 1/2 cup of orange juice. A normal portion of fish, poultry or meat is 3-4 ounces, cooked. For most women a healthy weight loss food plan should include six servings of grain foods (bread, cereal, rice and pasta), three servings of vegetables, two servings of fruit, two cups of milk or yogurt and five to six ounces of protein foods (fish, poultry, meat or dry beans). Weight loss is not easy and really requires a committment to changing your lifestyle, not just the foods you are eating. For more information on this topic, please go to the Ask the Expert page and use the "Search" option for weight loss. The answer to "How do you keep off 5 quick pounds?" will be helpful. (See link below.) You can also get additional information from the following web site: American Dietetic Association. (See link below.)

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management