Healthy Weight Center

A Good Exercise Programs for Diabetics?

03/11/2009

Question:

Hello, I am trying to get some advice about the most effective type of exercising my husband can do to aid with his weight loss. He was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, a few months ago and has been advised that he needs to lose weight. So far my husband has made excellent progress and lost 25-30 lbs, however he still needs to lose about 25-30 lbs to get down to his `ideal` weight. Despite the doctor and everyone else being impressed thus far, he remains unhappy and believes he should be losing more weight. I would like to help him get into a proper exercise regime to help with the weight loss. My husband enjoys working out, but I was hoping that someone could advise us or direct us to information on the most effective weight loss program and how often he should be doing the program. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Answer:

The American College of Sports Medicine Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (Sixth Edition) recommends the following precautions concerning Type 2 diabetes and exercise: Patients should have their physician`s approval before beginning an exercise program. Measure blood glucose before, during, and after exercise. Avoid exercise during periods of peak insulin activity. Unplanned exercise should be preceded by extra carbohydrates, i.e., 20-30 g/30 minutes of exercise; insulin may have to be decreased after exercise. If exercise is planned, insulin dosages must be decreased before and after exercise, according to the exercise intensity and duration as well as the personal experience of the patient; insulin dosage reductions may amount to 50 to 90% of daily insulin requirements. During exercise, easily absorbable carbohydrates may have to be consumed. After exercise, an extra carbohydrate-rich snack may be necessary. Be knowledgeable of the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia. Exercise with a partner. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that diabetics exercise 4-6 days per week, or daily at low to moderate intensity, 20-60 minutes per exercise session. A well-rounded exercise program should include a warm-up, flexibility, resistance training, cardiovascular exercise, and a cool-down (relaxation) period. I would be interested in knowing what type of activity your husband has been doing facilitating his recent weight loss. Goodluck.

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley