Healthy Weight Center

How Many Times a Week Should I Work Out?

03/11/2009

Question:

I have been walking on my treadmill every night for three weeks. Thirty minutes a night, at a fast pace. I want to know how many times a week should you work out to get results?

Answer:

I am impressed with your dedication to exercise. However, I am concerned that you may be overdoing it. You may want to consider taking a day off to give your body a rest. Walking for 30 minutes five to six days per week is adequate and will promote improved cardiovascular function and help with weight control. If you are trying to lose weight, make sure you are not compensating for your activity by eating more food. You may want to visit a Registered Dietitian in your area to have your diet analyzed. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so don`t get too concerned with the number on the scale, pay more attention to the way your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror. Keep up the good work!

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Beth C Miller, MS,RD,LD Beth C Miller, MS,RD,LD
Sports Nutritionist
The Buckeyes Online