Healthy Weight Center

Is My BMI Healthy?

03/11/2009

Question:

Hello! I am 15 years old and weigh 6 1/2 stone, and my height is 5ft 1. Am I over or under weight?

Answer:

Based on height and weight, we can calculate a measurement called Body Mass Index (BMI). I am making the assumption that you are female. For children and adolescents, we then compare your BMI with other girls in your age category. According to your BMI, you are at the low end of the healthy weight range. About 90% of 15-year-old girls have BMIs greater than your BMI.

Body weight is only one measure of health. It's important to be within the range of healthy body weight, but it's equally important to eat a healthy diet with adequate amounts of calories and nutrients to meet your body's needs for growth and development. A nutrient-rich diet with adequate calories, protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, and minerals will help you to maintain a healthy body composition and to prevent the development of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Establishing regular physical activity habits and a healthy diet during your teen years is essential to your overall health now and in the future. For more information about specific amounts of nutrients and meal plans for your age, gender, and activity level, visit the website,

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Bonnie J Brehm, PhD, RD Bonnie J Brehm, PhD, RD
Professor of Nursing