Healthy Weight Center

Identifying Ideal Weight

03/11/2009

Question:

Hello doctor I`m 29 years old I`m 5`11" and i weight about 153lbs. I would like to know if I`m at my ideal weight or am I underweight?

Answer:

To answer this question properly, I would need to know more about you. In addition to age, height and weight, it helps to also know your gender, daily activity level, and health status. There are many different ways to determine a healthy weight. One measure commonly used is the Body mass index (BMI). The BMI compares height and weight only. Body composition is not specified, so if a person is very muscular the results can make it look as if they are overweight or obese (such as with body builders). The BMI can help the average-build person determine a healthy weight range. According to the BMI calculation, you are within your normal weight range. Your BMI is 21.3 and the "normal" range is 18.5 - 24.9. For more information on BMI visit: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

I often tell people that the "ideal" weight for them is one that they can maintain comfortably (without struggling to stay at that weight) and maintain a good energy level. For more individualized help, I recommend that you see a registered dietitian in your area.

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Jane   Korsberg, MS, RD, LD Jane Korsberg, MS, RD, LD
Senior Instructor of Nutrition