Healthy Weight Center

Healthy Weight for A Teenager

03/12/2009

Question:

Hey, I am 13 years old going to be 14 very soon and I would like to know what is the healthy weight for me? I`m skinny so I would like to know what the healthy weight is. My weight right now is 100 pounds. Can you please help me find out my question?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. I don't have enough information to give you an exact answer. "Ideal" weights are based on your height. If your height is around 5 feet your weight of 100 pounds would be "ideal." At your age, you begin to focus on physical appearance and to make comparisons to your friends. You are going through a lot of changes as you move from childhood to adulthood, and everyone goes through these changes in their own unique way. Instead of worrying about numbers or what is "right", it is a great time to focus on developing healthy eating and exercise habits that will benefit you now and for the rest of your life. It's also a great time to get involved in clubs or activities, if you aren't already. Trying new things and finding you are good at some of them will increase your confidence and make you feel good about yourself!

Hang in there, and try to enjoy this time in your life. It it will be over before you know it.

Go to the Healthy Weight Center health topic, where you can:

Barbara Lattin, MS, RD, LD
Research Associate