Dental and Oral Health (Adults)

Bumps behind front teeth

03/13/2009

Question:

Behind my front two teeth about 1/2 inch, I have two bumps that are on both the left and right. I`ve had these bumps for a couple months and they are not discolored. When they appeared it seemed like I had cut the roof of my moth because when I touched the bigger of the two, it had burned in the front of it. Again, that was a couple months ago. I talked to my ENT about it and he looked at it and said it was nothing to worry about (not a growth or anything). Just wondering what it could be. He stated that it could be gingiva hyper... cant remember the name of it. When I push down on it, it seems to crackle and get smaller but later in the day it will return to normal size. Can you give me some insight please? Thank you.

Answer:

It sounds as if you either burned or scratched the roof of your mouth. If you had warmed up pizza in a microwave oven or something else with cheese on it, you might have burned the roof of your mouth with the melted cheese. This is very common. This would explain the initial symptoms you have given.

These burns usually resolve completely in 10 to 14 days. There are usually no after affects. It would be best to visit your dentist to have these areas examined. There are no other common lesions that fit your description.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Adults) health topic, where you can:

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry