Epilepsy

Deja vu

03/16/2009

Question:

I am a 28 year old female, and have been experience strong Deva-Vu type episodes for the past five years. I have only had five experiences with this. I get very weak, and I have strange memories in my head. It`s like I`m trying to remember a dream or a memory that never really happened. No matter how hard I try I cannot remember what it is that I am trying to think of. It is almost as if I just get little flashes of a distant memory.

During this time, I also feel weak, light-headed, and nauseous. The most intense part only lasts for less than a minute, but it usually takes me a little while longer to truly gather myself. They have been very scary experiences for me, as they are extremely intense and difficult to explain. My cousin experiences the same symptoms. After doing some research, I saw some information on frontal lobe partial seizures. Could this be what I am experiencing? Any advice?

Answer:

Deja vu is most commonly seen in temporal lobe seizures. Based on your description of your symptoms, it is possible you may be having seizures. You should be evaluated for these episodes. I suggest you ask your health care provider for a referral to a neurologist.

You can learn more about different types of seizures by clicking on the link below.

Epilepsy Foundation: Seizures and Syndromes

Go to the Epilepsy health topic, where you can:

David M Ficker, MD David M Ficker, MD