Myasthenia Gravis

Can infectious mono as a teenager lead to MG

04/07/2009

Question:

WHILE IN THE ARMY (AGE 19) I HAD INFECTIOUS MONO & WAS HOSPITALIZED FOR 30 DAYS. FOUR MONTHS LATER I WAS SENT TO VIETNAM FOR A YEAR. I WAS WEAK THE WHOLE TIME IN VIETNAM & EVER SINCE. I HAVE NOW BEEN TOLD I HAVE MG (AGE59). CAN IM LEAD TO A CASE OF MG? I HAD AN EMG RECENTLY & WAS TOLD THAT THE MYELIN SHEATH ON MY BRACHIAL NERVES WERE RECEDING. I FEEL LIKE I`M FALLING APART.

Answer:

Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune disease. Researchers do not know what causes the autoimmune response. Infections have been known to exacerbate, or worsen, symptoms of myasthenia gravis; however, I am not aware of a direct link between infectious mono and myasthenia gravis. Myasthenia gravis affects receptor sites on muscles. It does not affect the myelin sheath.

You may want to talk to your doctor about the potential long term effects of infectious mono.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Catherine  Kernich, MSN, RN, CNP Catherine Kernich, MSN, RN, CNP
Formerly