Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

23 yr.old daughter

03/13/2009

Question:

23 yr. has protien c defiiency and had numerous clots. Its a genetic thing.She has had coumadin, lovonox and etc. for clotting, but they have found she is allergic to it. She was rushed to hospital and they found she had severe low platelet count (5,000), now her platelets will not stay up- had bone marrow they are thinking ITP, if this is so how will they treat both or can they? In effect she is a clotter with a bleeding disorder. Can this be. Some of my other children have protien c as I do but never heard of bleeding too.Which disease should we be more concerned with now?

Answer:

There are a lot of issues regarding you daughter that you have raised that are excellent questions, but they are difficult to answer in this forum without being able to speak with, examine, and review the records of you daughter.  I'm sorry I cannot really say much more, but I would encourage you to ask your daughter's physicians these same questions.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine