Breast Cancer

Lump in both of my breasts

03/16/2009

Question:

I am 23 year old and started having pain in my left breast for few weeks. Upon doc`s advise, I went for ultrasound and this is what the report says : Multiple irregular, echopoor solid masses measuring 5.3 x 5.0 cm and 4.1 x 2.8cm seen in the right breast and 4.1 x 4.6cm and 3.7 x 3.4cm seen in the left breast.

I am confused and have no clue whether its potentially harmful or not. I searched the net and found out that the presence of multiple lumps increases the risk of having breast cancer. Is it true?

Answer:

You need referral to a breast surgeon to find out the nature of the masses in your breasts. At your age, these are probably benign (non-cancerous) masses, but follow-up and additional evaluation is definitely necessary. Having multiple masses does not increase the risk of breast cancer. You need first, however, to have these masses properly diagnosed.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD