Infertility

Conception

03/26/2009

Question:

iam 38yrs, and had a Tubal Reversal and D & C Jan 27. the day after my Feb period ended, i started using a opk and did so everyday on day 13 i got my positive lh surge. i had intercourse the night prior and night of surge and 3 days after. i also had the cervical wetness indicating ovulation. i started my period mar 7th. why did i not conceive?

Answer:

A normal couple has a 20-25% chance to conceive each month.  By the end of 3 months of trying, approximately 50% of patients will be pregnant.  By the end of 6 months, approximately 70% of patients will be pregnant, and by the end of 1 year of trying, approximately 85% of patients will be pregnant.   In patients who have had a tubal reversal where both sides are open, I recommend trying for 6 months; if pregnancy has not occurred by then, a follow-up dye test should be done to make sure that both tubes are still open.  I would assume that your husband/partner had a semen analysis checked before your reversal. 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD