Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

5 Year Old With Penile Pain

04/07/2009

Question:

My son is 5 years old and constantly complains of pain in his penis. We have seen one urologist (18 months ago) that said he felt a knot in his suspensitory ligament and referred us on to a ped. urologist who found nothing and said everything was fine. His pain is worse when he has an erection but if anything touches his penis (seat belt strap, jeans, etc.) he winces in pain and sometimes cries. I took him back to the first urologist last week and he said that he could not feel the knot and thought he was just "sensitive". I don`t know what to do. He will be starting school soon and constantly "adjusts" himself because he says it hurts and if he moves his penis to another position it quits hurting. Please help. Should we get a third opinion?

Answer:

Your son has a difficult problem. It is uncommon, and when it occurs, it is often difficult to treat. From your description of his condition, a cause is not obvious. However, if repositioning the penis works for him, then that should be encouraged when he begins to experience the pain.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology