Thyroid Diseases

Tired All the Time

04/30/2009

Question:

My neurologist seems to think I am going through perimenopause as my migraines have extremely intensified. I also am much more moody, and have noticed I also get moody when I am going to get a headache. I am also very tired. It seems that all I want to do is sleep. I do seem to sleep OK at night. I had a thyroid test done about a year ago as part of regular blood work because of prophylactic migraine meds I take and it was normal. Can the thyroid change quickly? Should I have that tested again? How can I combat this tiredness? I do exercise regularly. The medication I take does tend to make me a bit tired, but this has increased way beyond what I used to feel.

Answer:

It would be reasonable to recheck your thyroid hormone level since it has been a year. If that is normal, ask if your tiredness might be a side effect of one of your medications, or if you should be checked for sleep apnea.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE