Mouth Diseases

Red sores

03/18/2009

Question:

I sometimes have red bulbous sores appear on the inside of my mouth and tongue. They will burst unexpectedly and blood will come out. I have been diagonsed with Pemphigus, but this does not look like what I have had before. I have the pemphigus under control, but these red sores are extremely annoying, especially if one appears inside my mouth close to my lips. It is embarrasing to talk and uncomfortable.

Answer:

You should be evaluated by an oral pathologist. The oral lesions of pemphigus are much more difficult to bring under control than the skin lesions. The skin blisters usually clear up rather quickly with therapy, but the oral lesions will often remain.

What you are describing could be pemphigus in your mouth, and an examination by an oral pathology specialist would be the best way to determine this.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology