COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Life Expectancy with severe COPD

03/30/2009

Question:

My mother is 61 years old and just diagonosed with COPD and heart disease. She`s been a heavy smoker all her adult life but has not smoked since the diagonosis 2 weeks ago. After releasing her from the hospital after a weeks stay, they have her on oxygen 24/7. I`ve noticed that she has been losing weight over the last few years and currently is still short of breath even at rest. I`m wondering if I can count on having her for another year or could the prognosis be worse than that at this point?

Answer:

NetWellness receives many questions regarding prognosis and life expectancy for persons with COPD and emphysema. Although it is not possible to provide specific predictions in a forum such as this, you may find the following guidelines helpful in knowing what to expect.

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine