Gynecology

Information on family planning and its effect

03/20/2009

Question:

I have two kids; 2yrs 8months and 1yr 1month. Due to the nature of the job my husband and I have decided to wait for 3 years before having our last born. My husband is the type who does not like using condoms and allowing me to us todays` vigina contraceptive which to me does not have any side effect. I will therefore be grateful if you could help me with any other means we can safely have sex with get pregnant. Thanks

Answer:

There are many effective methods of contraception. If you are looking for a longer term method that is very effective and does not require use at the time of intercourse, you might want to consider and intrauterine device. Additionally the hormonal methods of contraception, patch, pill, vaginal ring, and shot, are very effective if used correctly and consistently. You should see a health care provider to discuss this further. You might also want to look at the website for the Association of Reproductive Health Professionals which has good information about contraceptives.

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH Lisa M Keder, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology