Sports Medicine

Best type of brace for peroneal tendonitis

04/02/2009

Question:

Can you tell me which type of ankle brace would be best to purchase for someone who has occasional peroneal tendonitis from exercise? I want to wear one while exercising in hopes to have more support for my ankle. Thank you.

Answer:

Although your diagnosis may be correct, alternative causes for peroneal tendon pain include peroneal tendon subluxation (slippage) and/or a peroneal tendon tear.

It would be best for you to try on various ankle brace designs when you're having symptoms to determine if one style improves your symptoms and function more than another.

While trying on one and then another type, jump up and down as well as from side to side, run using quick stops and starts, rapid changes in direction, etc. - whatever it takes to reproduce your symptoms. 

Ankle brace designs include simple elastic ankle sleeves, lace-up ankle supports with or without removable rigid side stays, braces which incorporate a variety of straps, as well as "stirrup" style ankle braces with or without hinges. There really isn't one particular design which is "best for peroneal tendinitis".

In addition to restricting foot inversion (turning the sole inward) and eversion (sole outward), any design will also typically limit the up and down motion of your ankle to some extent, any or all of which may reduce your symptoms, but which could also affect your performance, depending on which sport or exercise you'd like to do.

If trying on a variety of different ankle brace styles is without benefit, another option is to try using a lateral heel wedge in your shoe.

If your symptoms persist, consider consulting with your physician to determine why you continue to have symptoms, to establish a definite diagnosis, and to determine if there's any treatment program to prevent ongoing or recurrent symptoms.

Also, FYI, another question on this topic was previously answered:
http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/56552.htm

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation