Athletic Training

Bone bruising of the tibia

03/23/2009

Question:

(Background) 2002- small fracture of the tibia, `severe sprain` 2004-severe sprain 2005-severe break of tibia 2008-severe sprain

Now in 2009, I got an MRI, my legiments are fine but they said that i have severe bruising of the tibia, and they put me in a cast for four weeks and NO weight whatsoever. Is this the right thing they should be doing for this? (my last injury was in nov -08 its now march 09)

Answer:

It's hard to make a recommendation based on your information without knowing where your fractures and sprains were. I am assuming your sprains were ankle sprains, but am not sure where your fractures were along the tibia. 

Given your past history of tibial fractures, your physician is trying to protect the healing bone because a bruise may be indicative of active bone injury.  I would suggest you ask him/her more specific questions as to plan of care following the four weeks of casting and nonweightbearing.  Hopefully, they can devise a plan for you to gradually resume your activity in a safe fashion and limit further injury.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences