Athletic Training

Surgery or NO! after 2 years of ACL injury?

03/23/2009

Question:

HI IM ? YEARS,AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY QUESTION ANSWEARED? AT 14 PLAING SOCCER I HAD AN ACL INJURY. AND DIDNT PAY ATTENTION 2 IT AND CONTINUED PLAING, AND IT HAPPEND AGAIN. AFTER THAT I STOPPED PLAING AND GOT AN MRI. THE DOC, TOLD ME I HAD AN ACL INJURY,HE DINDT MAKE IT CLEAR WETHER IT WAS COMPLETLY TORN OR NOT. BUT TOLD I MUST HAVE THE SURGERY IF I WHATED TO CONTINUE PLAYING SOCCER.dO TO FINANTIAL PROBLEMS I COULDN GET THE SURGERY.,NOW AFTER 2 YEARS THAT THE INJURY HAPPENED. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I SHOULD THE SURGERY NOW?AND WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES IF I DONT,..THANK YOU!

Answer:

You describe a typical course following ACL injury. You sustain the first injury and think your knee is fine and go back to activity only to sustain a second injury.  Surgery is recommended typically to protect the knee joint from further damage. The more injuries and damage you sustain to your knee put you at higher risk of arthritic changes in your knee at a younger age, and it's hard to reverse those changes. 

Given that you like to play soccer which is a sport that involves a lot of planting and twisting motions, the ACL surgery would help to provide stability and limit the number of give-way episodes you experience.  If you wish to continue with those types of activities, physicians would recommend ACL reconstruction as the best course of action. 

I would follow up with the physician you have seen to have a re-evaluation of your knee to determine the best course of action given your activity status and condition of your knee.

Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences