Infertility

Strange period

05/19/2009

Question:

I am 31 and my husband and I have never gotten pregnant. On March 9th I had some spotting that was a little red with brown. My period was not due until the 14th or so. I had spotting on the 9th. I had nothing on the 10th or 11th. On the 13th my husband and I had sex. Afterwards, when I went to the bathroom I had some bleeding. I bled on the 14th but by the middle of the day on the 15th I had nothing. Usually, my periods will come full force and gradually end with a day or two of spotting. Now, a full 9 days later my breasts are very tender and sore. Not too bad to the touch but just enough to bug me. Any thoughts on what could be going on? I am over weight and since January have lost 20 pounds in the last 4 weeks or so I have been walking about 24-29 miles a week. Thank you for your help.

Answer:

The first thing that one would think of with a late period or one that was shorter than normal would be the possibility of pregnancy.  I would recommend doing a home test or, it is more convenient, having a test performed by your physician.

Whether or not you would require a father infertility evaluation would depend upon ho long you and your husband have  been trying. 

If you have been attempting conception for greater than one year without success, you have infertility, and should see your physician for a work-up, before starting any fertility treatment. 

This would consist of a semen analysis, a blood test to see if you are ovulating, and a dye test to see if your tubes are open (hysterosalpingogram or HSG). 

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Daniel B Williams, MD Daniel B Williams, MD