What happened/ had a lot of swelling

04/03/2009

Question:

I had gone to the dentist to have a tooth repaired, of course I got a shot to numb the area. The following day I woke up with swelling and a large lump in my cheek. Being it was the weekend I called was able to see my dentist the first thing on monday. He thought it was because I had a lose tooth next to the one he had repaired, so he pulled the tooth. Again I was given something for the pain before he pulled the tooth. I was also given something before an xray, as my mouth hurt so much to touch or open my mouth very far. I was given a script for azithrmycin 250 mg.

I finished that and I still had swelling in my face, under my eye was even swelling up. It hurt to eat, and it hurt to smile. I went back to the dentist and was sent to an Oral Surgeon who gave me a script for Amox tr-k clv 500-125 mg tab. It took that pill a few days to start to do anything, at first my cheek just kept swelling up, and hurting. Being I had already been on one antibiotic my system really hadn`t gone long between starting one script and then the next one. The dates for my scripts are 3/09 and 3/16.

I`m still on the second script, there is still some swelling but nothing like before. Can you tell me what had happen? Is it because of the pain killer for the tooth repair, then having a tooth pulled a few days later? Lately I`ve noticed a type of rash on my right side of my back that goes from my shoulder blade to my butt, could this be a reaction to the meds?

Any information you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you

Answer:

Thank you for your question. I would try to answer this question but I really don't know exactly where the swelling was based on your description, as well as what teeth were involved, your age, medical history, etc. Therefore, it is very hard to make a determination. 

I would think you could call the oral surgeon and ask him what the diagnosis was and tell him that you are doing better. He or she probably can tell you. There are just too many possibilities not having some critical information.