Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Fluid In the Kidney

05/26/2009

Question:

I have custody of our grandson since he was 5 months now 4. His testicles did not drop, so he has had one side (R) done and the doctor requested an ultrasound. During that ultrasound they saw a lot of fluid in his left kidney. He has complained of his backing hurting, but we just thought he was mocking us. I have contacted his pediatrician. I am, of course VERY concerned. What kind of disease could he have? What would cause this? We are definitely going to see his pediatrician. I just thought I might ask, or better yet have some idea WHAT to ask his doctor. Could this just be an infection? Blockage? Just what am I looking at? Thank you VERY Much!

Answer:

I apologize for this delayed answer. It was sent to the wrong folder in my computer. It sounds as though there could be a blockage in the left kidney, resulting from a birth defect where the urine drains from the kidney. There are tests that can be done to determine whether this is the case, in particular, a kidney radioisotope scan. If there is an infection in the kidney, usually there is a very high fever. He probably will need to see a pediatric urologist to determine whether the back pain he is experiencing is caused by the swollen kidney. In addition, it is important to be certain that the second testicle is found and brought down to the scrotum.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology