I have huge goiters and nodules on my thyroid

03/24/2009

Question:

These goiters and nodules have been tested by biopsy and am currently on levoxy(synthroid sub). I have gained 30 lbs and have been to numerous endoroconologists. I crave carbohydrates often. I am wondering how do I find a GOOD endocronologist and how accurate are blood tests as for mine always seem to come back normal. I run and just can`t seem to stop gaining weight. Frustrated! woman 41 yrs.

Answer:

The sources that I can suggest for official listings of endocrinologists include web sites for the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Endocrine Society of America and the American Diabetes Association.  If you live in or near Ohio, the NetWellness directory may be helpful in finding an Endocrinologist as well.  People are often looking for some particular characteristics in the consultants they seek out - word of mouth is frequently the only way to ferret out those kinds of issues, possibly from doctors that you know or people who have seen a given provider as a patient.  You may also want to make sure that the person who is telling you that they are in any specific specialty is actually board-certified in that specialty.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD